Hair & Makeup Tips
Part of preparing for your session is thinking about how you want your hair, makeup, and nails to look. You have two options – set up an appointment with a professional, or do it yourself.
There are many benefits to letting the professionals help with your pictures:
- Professional makeup artists have experience in makeup application for photography
- Different makeup will appear differently in camera
- They have high quality products in every shade imaginable
- Understanding to know how to contour and choose colors that highlight your best features
- They’ll have you feeling CONFIDENT, BEAUTIFUL, and ready to start your session!
If you can’t afford both hair & makeup, I definitely recommend the makeup application. If neither is in your budget, below are some tips for doing makeup yourself! Contact us to find out more about the professionals we hire.
- Apply eye and lip makeup SLIGHTLY darker than normal. Cameras don’t pick up the contrast & definition our eyes see in person.
- Avoid makeup with SPF & mineral makeup. While great for everyday use, they create an unflattering shine.
- Don’t go overboard with layers of heavy makeup because it’s hard to photograph cakey makeup.
- Set foundation with translucent powder that reduces shine. Shine is hard to touch up in Photoshop.
- You might not normally wear lipstick, but I recommend it for your session, even if it’s a shade close to your natural lip color.
- Mascara is a must. Clean not clumpy. At least 1 coat, 2 if you normally wear mascara.
- Pastel eye shadows will look washed out so go for a medium or dark, rich tone. Browns and golds are pretty safe!
- Avoid heavy black eyeliner, which makes your eyes look smaller. Go with gray or brown and blend well if you’re wearing eyeliner.
- Stay away from sparkles and shimmers because matte makeup will photograph better!
Nails - DO YOUR NAILS!!!
- Natural nails look great for portraits – just make sure they’re neatly trimmed, filed, buffed, and clean!
- If you want painted nails, choose a light and neutral color that goes with all of your outfits.
- Chipped nails look terrible, so wait until the night before your session if you’re painting them!
- If you’re wearing sandals or going barefoot for any photos, don’t forget your toes too!